While Earth Month may be coming to a close, there are still many ways you can help the environment year-round, especially around the office! We spend so many hours of the week at work, making it the perfect opportunity to implement sustainable practices in our day-to-day lives, and to make a difference through small, simple actions.
TPH Head Office has been participating in The Smart Office Challenge over the last month, an initiative started by WWF-Canada’s Living Planet @ Work program that encourages green practices within the office. Each week, our employees were challenged with an activity that reduces environmental impact, from powering down computer monitors to bringing in old, used electronics for responsible recycling.
To help you get started on creating a more environmentally friendly office, we’ve put together a few easy tips:
Eliminate Printing Waste
Unnecessary sheets of paper are often wasted in the office due to careless printing practices. Keep these tips in mind the next time you go to hit ‘print’!
- Print double sided: printing on both sides of the paper is an easy way to cut your print waste in half. You can even adjust the default settings on your printer to do this automatically!
- Go digital: think about ways you can minimize your office printing by going digital – can your message be communicated by email rather than a printed document?
- Use a smaller font: this is a simple way to cut down the number of pages in your documents.
Start a Green Team
Organizing a committee of passionate team members is a great way to kick off green initiatives in the office.
- Lunch and Learn: have your team host a lunch and learn session for employees to spread knowledge about the environment and sustainability.
- Implement recycling programs: if your office is not already participating in recycling programs, your Green Team can help implement them for paper, plastic, organic waste and electronics.
Organize Office Challenges
Holding office challenges is a fun and interactive way to get your employees excited about helping the Earth. Offer small prizes to build friendly competition and get the team motivated.
- Smart Office Challenge: Hold your own Smart Office Challenge and encourage employees to participate in new green activities.
- Clean up a local park: Spending 30 minutes outdoors is not only a great way to help the local community, it’s also a great team building exercise.
Choose Sustainable Paper Options
We’re proud to offer our customers many environmentally friendly paper options and certifications.
- Purchase Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) certified paper: FSC is an international certification and labelling system dedicated to promoting responsible forest management of the world’s forests. Look for FSC certified paper to ensure it has been responsibly sourced!
- Use paper with recycled content: Another easy way to print responsibly is to source paper made from recycled content.
Reduce your carbon footprint by saving energy in the office. Electricity is one of the leading sources of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Turn it off: turn off your lights, monitors and heat in the evening to reduce energy consumption. This not only helps the environment, but can save your office money as well.
Adding these simple actions into your company’s daily routine can help in a big way. At TPH, we strive to do our best to do our part by implementing sustainable practices just like these!
We’re excited to announce that as a result of our environmental initiatives, we’ve been named for a second year as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for 2018. The award, presented by Mediacorp Canada Inc. is given to employers that lead the nation in creating a culture of environmental awareness. To learn more, view the press release online.
To learn more about TPH’s sustainable initiatives and commitment to the environment, visit our website.