On Saturday, February 20th, 2016 (the coldest night of the year!) thousands of Canadians will participate in Canada’s National Walk for Homelessness. The Coldest Night of the Year is a family-friendly walking fundraiser that raises money for the hungry, homeless and hurting in 100+ communities across Canada. TPH is proud to be the National Sponsor for this event, with nine teams participating in nine cities from coast to coast!
About the Walk
There are over 90 different locations across the country where walkers can participate in CNOY. Each location is operated by a local, community-based registered Canadian charity working to help those in need. The proceeds raised from the walk will go towards these charities who have tirelessly worked to serve those suffering from homelessness in Canada. An estimated 150,000 Canadians experience homelessness outside – forced to brave the elements and living with the constant challenge of not having a regular, stable, safe or affordable place to live. The CNOY walk is meant to put into perspective the hardship experienced by the homeless in the winter, while also raising awareness and money for the cause.
How to Join & Fundraising Tips
There are multiple ways you can participate in the walk – start your own team, join an existing team, or walk on your own! Visit the CNOY website to register.
- Get the support of your friends and family: Your loved ones will be the first to donate to you and your cause! Don’t be afraid to ask your friends and family for their support.
- Use the power of social media: In today’s digital age, social media is the way to go when you’re trying to reach a large group of people! Tweet, Instagram, and post on Facebook to bring awareness to the cause and garner the support of your social network.
- Sweeten the deal: Entice people to donate by holding a bake sale or offering homemade baked goods and treats. Something about a chewy chocolate chip cookie puts people in a particularly giving mood!
- Turn negatives into positives: It’s important to be positive while fundraising. Stay focused on how your efforts will go towards helping those who are less fortunate and keep energy levels high!
- Show your appreciation: Remember to give thanks to those who have supported your cause! The generosity of others is what makes everything possible.
The fundraising goal for this year’s CNOY walk is $4,000,000. With 2,383 teams and 10,538 walkers currently registered, we’re well on our way to reaching our goal – but we still need your support! Join the walk or donate to the cause, if you won’t be able to make it.
Blue Sea Philanthropy, the charity behind CNOY, has created some eye opening videos on their YouTube channel to promote the walk. View the clip below, or see more on their channel.
The TPH teams will be walking proudly on February 20th to support the homeless. We hope to see you there!