Spring has sprung and the cherry blossoms are a beautiful reminder that it’s our responsibility to take care of the earth and get back to greener habits. Here are a few reminders to help refresh your sustainable business practices:
- Unplug! Reducing your energy consumption is about more than simply turning off the lights. Get in the habit of unplugging as many things as you can when you leave the office – items such as cell phone chargers still draw energy when you’re not using them. (Find out more about phantom energy here.) Even making sure that computers are set to go to sleep after being left idle will help cut back on energy consumption, which is typically the third largest business expense after staff salaries and materials.
- Be mindful of the printing you do. Choose paper that has been FSC® certified to guarantee that products come from responsibly managed forests. Also, by using low volatile organic compound (VOC) inks, you can reduce environmentally damaging emissions in the atmosphere.
- Go digital. Consider increasing your use of electronic marketing channels, such as personalized email marketing campaigns, and only print what you need. TPH® offers on-demand web to print solutions that can help save time and money so you don’t print anything that will end up going to waste!
- Reduce, reuse, recycle! You’ve heard it time and time again. Encourage efforts to recycle leftover paper products and look into starting a program to recycle old electronics instead of letting them go to waste. Take advantage of natural light. Focus on lighting areas of your office that don’t allow access to natural light, which will minimize the need for office lighting. While you’re at it, go all the way and invest in using compact fluorescent light bulbs and energy-saving appliances!
- With the rising cost of gas, carpooling is a fantastic option for commuting to work. Or do one better and leave the car at home if you can. Walking, biking or using public transportation are all excellent ways to adopt greener practices and encourage others to do the same.
Whether you’re already taking some of these steps or just thinking about it, we would love to help you embrace an environmentally friendly business that’s good for your budget and for the planet!
Brittany Giles is the Social Media Specialist at The Printing House.